4/16/2009

"Freestylin'!"

...or "Going Commando!"

I mean, getting at your art without any rules, baby!

That's usually how I go at creating something.

For example:

I'll pick up my pad and I'll say- "I'm gonna draw Spider-Man!" So, I'll start drawing him and while I'm doing it, I'll decide to make him shoot a web. Then, I'll be like- "Oh yeah, he's on a wall too!", so I'll draw that in and so forth.

Same with a song.
I'll decide to write a song and I'll tap out something with an instrument (usually a bass or a drum) 'til I find something I like and then I'll start adding to it.

It's the rush of the moment I like- It's like you are creating something but the spirit of the creation is guiding you through it's completion.

You don't do that with an animation.

That is- You don't say "I'm gonna make a cartoon about a cat trying to catch a mouse" and then just sit down and draw it.
I mean, you COULD try to do it that way but you would probably lose interest after a while because the project is too big to be handled that way.

You have to PLAN a motherfuckin' animation.

Now, this is all common sense- I know. But you don't know how many times I've started to do an animation just like that.

All the cartoons I've ever completed were were written out and storyboarded first.

This one is the same- SORTA. I have everything plotted out- I haven't written it out shot for shot though, so sometimes I will be tempted to jump ahead and try to animate something without having storyboarded it.
This is stupidity- because I don't know what I'll need. Which means I'll be over animating- I mean, like WAAAAAAAAYYY over animating. Wasting time and resources-

I figured this out when I started trying to animate some scenes over my death star- just because I was so excited that things are working with it so well.

I then went back and storyboarded a section of the battle that is supposed to happen on the end and putting shots together was so much easier. I will post that later when I have access to those files and the internet at the same time.

So- I will storyboard more and thanks to writing this little blog entry- I kind of realize maybe I should write out the beats of the video as well.

0 comments: